Skip to Content

Tax Reporting

In compliance with current tax law, the Retirement System mails 1099-R Forms to retired members at the end of January every year for tax filing. The 1099-R Form details the SFERS benefits paid to you beginning December of the prior year through November 30 of the tax year being reported (e.g. December 2021 – November 2022).

If you do not receive your 1099-R Form in the mail by the end of January, you can access a duplicate copy via mySFERS secure member portal, beginning in February.

You can also request a duplicate copy of your 1099-R Form by contacting the Retirement System by phone at 415-487-7000, or by email at [email protected].

Change Tax Withholding

If you are relocating outside of California and no longer want California tax withheld from your pension, complete and submit a CA State Tax Withholding Form. To change federal tax withholding from your monthly pension benefit, complete and submit a Federal Tax Withholding Form.