Miscellaneous Safety Members
Miscellaneous Safety members are employees of the City and County of San Francisco or other covered employer, working as Probation Officers, District Attorney Investigators, and Juvenile Court Counselors who are covered under the provisions for pension of the SFERS Miscellaneous Safety Plan.
As a member of the SFERS Miscellaneous Safety Plan, you have access to two benefit programs:
- A Pension Plan (defined benefit plan): provides retirement benefits calculated using a formula based on age at retirement, years of credited service, and final pensionable compensation.
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan (defined contribution plan): allows participants to acquire additional tax-deferred retirement savings through voluntary contributions intended to complement your pension benefits
The SFERS Pension Plan is funded through employer contributions (paid by the City), member contributions (paid by you), and investment earnings.
Each pay period, mandatory retirement contributions are deducted from your paycheck to help with the cost of your retirement benefits. Contributions are deducted before taxes and are calculated as a percentage of your salary. This percentage is your “member contribution rate”.
The SFERS Pension Plan is a defined benefit plan providing retirement income funded through member contributions (paid by you), employer contributions (paid by the City), and investment earnings.
Under the SFERS Pension Plan, you can qualify for benefits in three categories:
- Retirement (service or disability)
- Separation (vesting, reciprocity, or refund)
- Survivor (pre and post-retirement)